When was the last time you were really scared? From Dario Argento, maestro of the macabre and the man behind some the greatest excursions in Italian horror (The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, Suspiria, Terror at the Opera), Arrow Video has announced the release of his iconic film Deep Red, considered by many as the ultimate giallo movie. Limited to 5,000 copies, this exclusive 3-disc release offers up a stunning new 4k transfer of both the international cut (105 mins) and the director’s cut (127 mins).
One night, musician Marcus Daly (David Hemmings – Blow Up), looking up from the street below, witnesses the brutal axe murder of a woman in her apartment. Racing to the scene, Marcus just manages to miss the perpetrator… or does he? As he takes on the role of amateur sleuth, Marcus finds himself ensnared in a bizarre web of murder and mystery where nothing is what it seems…
Aided by a throbbing score from regular Argento-collaborators Goblin, Deep Red (aka Profondo Rosso and The Hatchet Murders) is a hallucinatory fever dream of a giallo punctuated by some of the most astonishing set-pieces the sub-genre has to offer.
This new release will also include a wealth of bonus content, alongside the complete 28-track original soundtrack recording, housed together in deluxe packaging including an all-new exclusive booklet, 6 x postcard set and feature newly commissioned artwork by Gilles Vranckx.
Deep Red will be released on UK Blu-ray as a 3-Disc Limited Edition on 25th January 2016 from Arrow Video at an as-yet undisclosed RRP (even Arrow don't have on their store at the time of writing).
3-Disc Limited Edition contents:
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of two versions of the film
- Original Italian soundtrack in DTS-HD MA mono 1.0 and lossless DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio, and original English soundtrack in DTS-HD MA mono 1.0
- English subtitles for the Italian Soundtrack
- Optional English subtitles for the English Soundtrack
- Limited Edition Soundtrack CD
- 6 x postcard-sized lobby card reproductions
- Reversible fold-out poster featuring two original artworks
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Gilles Vranckx
- Limited Edition booklet featuring new writing on the film by Mikel J. Koven, author of La Dolce Morte: Vernacular Cinema and the Italian Giallo Film and an archive piece by critic Alan Jones, illustrated with original archive stills
Deep Red: Original Version (Blu-ray Disc 1)
Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative
Isolated Score in Stereo 2.0
Audio Commentary with Argento expert Thomas Rostock
Introduction to the film by Claudio Simonetti of Goblin
Profondo Giallo – a brand new visual essay by Michael Mackenzie featuring an in-depth appreciation of Deep Red, its themes and its legacy
Rosso Recollections: Dario Argento’s Deep Genius – the Deep Red director on the creation of a giallo masterpiece
The Lady in Red – Daria Nicolodi Remembers Profondo Rosso
Music to Murder For! – Claudio Simonetti on Deep Red
Profondo Rosso: From Celluloid to Shop – a tour of the Profondo Rosso shop in Rome with long time Argento collaborator Luigi Cozzi
Deep Red: Export Version (Blu-ray Disc 2) [Limited Edition exclusive]
Profoundo Rosso: The Complete Original Soundtrack Recording (CD Disc 3) [Limited Edition Exvclusive]
- 28-track CD featuring the entire Deep Red film score from Italian progressive rock band Goblin and composer Giorgio Gaslini