Blundering medical supplies warehouse workers Frank and his young trainee Freddy unwittingly set off a mysterious US military chemical that brings the dead back to life. And they've got a real hunger for human brains. Enlisting the help of a local crematorium, they set off a chain of events that could lead to the end of civilisation. Can they defeat the growing army of ravenous zombies? ‘How do you kill something that's already dead' It's not a bad question Bert.
The film that saw John Carpenter's college friend and former collaborator Dan O'Bannon make his own distinctive mark as a director, the 1985 The Return of the Living Dead went on to become one of the cult films of the 80s, and remains one of the most fondly regarded of all zombie movies. Complete with a raucous rock soundtrack by the inimitable The Cramps, The Return Of The Living Dead is a zombie gorefest at its finest and wittiest.
On 4th June 2012 this horror favourite is being released by Second Sight as a special edition double DVD and makes its UK Blu-ray debut in a limited edition Steelbook, both with five hours of special features and also the much anticipated inclusion of the original soundtrack as well as the remixed version.
Both releases will have the following special features:
- More Brains! A Return to the Living Dead: The definitive two-hour documentary featuring interviews with cast, writers, producers and many more, as well as previously unseen behind the scenes footage, storyboards, conceptual art, publicity materials and archival documents;
- A conversation with Dan O'Bannon: The Final Interview;
- They Won't Stay Dead: a look at Return of The Living Dead Part 2;
- A Love Beyond The Grave: a look at Return of The Living Dead 3;
- Stacey Q Live: exclusive 'Tonight' music video;
- Even More Brains: deleted documentary interview;
- Return of The Living Dead in three minutes;
- Resurrected Settings: The Filming Locations Today;
- The Origins of Return of the Living Dead with John A. Russo;
- The FX of the Living Dead with production designer William Stout and FX make-up artists William Munns and Tony Gardner;
- Party Time with music consultant Steve Pross and 45 Grave singer Dinah Cancer;
- Exclusive to Blu-ray Steelbook: Ernie's Notepad – 20-page replica notebook by embalmer Ernie Kaltenbrunner, featuring production notes, carting information and exclusive artwork.
The double-disc DVD and the Blu-ray Steelbook will be released by Second Sight on 4th June 2012 at the RRP of £19.99 for the DVD and £22.99 for the Blu-ray.