Having made a splash and, rumour has it, helped change the menu at McDonald's with the 2004 documentary hit Super Size Me, and searched for America's most wanted man in Where in the World is Osama Bin Laden?, Morgan Spurlock has now turned his attention to the thorny subject of of product placement, marketing and advertising. The Greatest Movie Ever Sold is a film that was fully financed through product placement from various brands, all of which are integrated transparently into the film.
In The Greatest Movie Ever Sold, Spurlock exploits the film promotion phenomenon to new heights, with everything from branded pizza boxes and in-flight film promotions to branded-everything in-film. It seems like everywhere we go someone is trying to sell us something, but have you ever wondered what goes on behind closed doors? With humor and insight Spurlock unmasks the marketing process to bring audiences behind closed doors directly into the pitch meetings and marketing presentations which ultimately inform our everyday entertainment decisions.
The Greatest Movie Ever Sold will be released on UK DVD on 27th February 2012 by Universal at the RRP of £12.99.
The disc will sport a bucketload of extras, including this lot:
- Behind the scenes featurette;
- Alternate Pom Wonderful commercial;
- JetBlue commercial;
- The Greatest Airline You'll Ever Fly: JetBlue in-flight;
- Hyatt commercial;
- The Greatest Hotel You'll Ever Experience: Hyatt welcome;
- The Greatest Vacation Destination: Aruba;
- My Favourite Commercial: a montage;
- Softer is Louder: Frank Luntz;
- Ralph Nadar: Words of Wisdom;
- Delving into the Consumer Unconscious: ZMET extended;
- At the Sundance Film Festival;
- Shooting for Perfection: Hyatt and JetBlue behind the scenes;
- Farris Yakob's "Phased" approach;
- No Ad New York;
- Meeting of the Minds: extended Brand Summit;
- Who Owns the News: Dan Rather;
- Buying Self-Confidence: Alternative Marketing;
- Norm Product places Morgan;
- A Diamond is Forever (a Burden): Sut Jhally.