From the team that brought you Airplane, Police Squad and The Naked Gun comes the original pioneering comedy that launched the careers of some of the funniest men in Hollywood (at least they were for a while) and became one of the key cult movies of its time. Now The Kentucky Fried Movie is back, this time as a special two-disc DVD release featuring some notable extras, including a feature-length interview with its co-creators, the Zucker brothers, plus brand new artwork by artist Graham Humphreys (The Evil Dead; A Nightmare On Elm Street).
Written by Jim Abrahams and David and Jerry Zucker, and directed by John Landis (An American Werewolf In London; The Blues Brothers; Animal House), The Kentucky Fried Movie is an intermittently hilarious, adults-only send up of everything from TV, advertising and current affairs, to exploitation movies and sex. Among the film's many unforgettable highlights are the gratuitously sex-filled teaser for the teen exploitation romp Catholic High School Girls In Trouble, the scene stealing boom microphone in the chat show High Adventure, the smart word-play of Courtroom, the potentially lethal cinematic experience that is Feel-A-Round, and the Enter the Dragon send-up, A Fistful Of Yen. My personal favourite has always been the sex instruction record that comes with a free stud named Big Jim Slade in case of premature ejaculation.
Featuring guest appearances by Donald Sutherland (Don't Look Now), Bill Bixby (The Incredible Hulk), Henry Gibson (The Blues Brothers), and once-only James Bond star George Lazenby (On Her Majesty's Secret Service) amongst others, The Kentucky Fried Movie is a splendidly tasteless treat for fans of quick-fire madcap comedy.
The Kentucky Fried Movie (cert. 18) will be released on UK DVD by Arrow Video on 4th July 2011 at teh RRP of £17.99.
Featuring widescreen 1.85:1 and full frame 1.33:1 presentation options, the original mono soundtrack and optional Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Norwegian and Swedish subtitles, extra features will include:
- Audio commentary by director John Landis, writers Jerry Zucker, David Zucker and Jim Abrahams and producer Robert K. Weiss;
- A Conversation With David and Jerry Zucker – a feature length interview with the co-creators of The Kentucky Fried Movie, Airplane and The Naked Gun about their lives and career, from growing up and starting out in show business to their comedy influences;
- David and Jerry Zucker's on-set Home Video shot during the making of the movie;
- Behind-the-scenes photo gallery;
- Original trailer;
- Four-panel reversible sleeve with original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys;
- Double-sided fold-out artwork poster;
- Collector's booklet featuring brand new writing on director John Landis by critic and author Calum Waddell.